Portela do Homem
The hike rises through a trail along the river Homem to the old tungsten mines and the lake of Carris. The setting is grim because of the often low hanging clouds, which results in a fascinating scenery. The hike is relatively tough, especially because of the length and the fact that a large part of the trail consists of boulders that are hard to walk on. Bringing rainwear is recommended. If you want to hike in this protected area, you need to request permission up front to the ICNF (email@example.com).
- From the car park (1) we descend to the river Homem (2) through the N308-1. The path starts here behind a barrier.
- The first part of this trail is an easy walk, but the further we get the more difficult the trail gets because of the increasing amount of boulders.
- On this trail it is impossible to get lost: the trail follows the river Homem and does not have any side-trails.
- After more than nine kilometres we reach the old abandoned mines of Carris (3). Before the ruins we turn left, the path turns further left here to eventually end at the lake of Carris (4).
- The way back is through the same route.