Cuesta del Cielo
During this hike, we ascend to the Cuesta del Cielo, a ridge in the Sierra de Almijara. From this mountain we have a very broad view over the Mediterranean Sea, the Sierra de Tejeda and the Sierra Almijara and further east over the Sierra Nevada of Granada. As the hike is relatively long and has a lot of elevation gain, we return from the Cuesta del Cielo. However, it is very well possible to continue the trail and climb another 400 metres, to the Pico del Cielo.
- From the parking lot of the Cueva de Nerja (1) we walk back to the beginning of the car park and cross the road to a dirt road with a panel of the Junta de Andalucía (2). A little further on we step over a cable back that closes the road for traffic. We ignore the path on the right and go straight ahead.
- We follow this dirt road for a long time and at the Y -junction (3) turn right (to the left it goes to the recreation area el Pinarillo). From here this dirt road start to ascend faster and has a few short-cuts, if desired.
- At about 570 metres we get past a side-trail on the right, but we keep left here/go straight ahead on the wide path (4). Further on, at about 750 metres, we arrive at a T -junction (5) where we turn left, marked with a big sign "Sendero Pico del Cielo".
- A bit further on at the cottage Cortijo de la Civila we can go both left and right, as these trails further on unite. From here on the path is narrower and much steeper.
- After a good climb just slightly below the 1,100 metres we reach a mountain pass (6), where to the right we have a nice view towards Granada and the Sierra Nevada. We go to the left here further over the Cuesta del Cielo, until we arrive at about some 1,195 metres at the highest point of this ridge (7).
- From here it is possible to ascend about another 400 metres to the Pico del Cielo, but we return from here to the Caves of Nerja (1) via the same route.