Collado de Ortigosa
During this hike we walk to the mountain pass "Collado de Ortigosa", from where we have a nice wide view over the surrounding Sierra de Ayllón. We do not take the most direct route from El Cardoso de la Sierra but instead come from the west, where we follow the course of the river Río del Ermito. The part from the stream "Vertiente Del Arroyo Peñón" to the environment of this mountain pass is steep and heavily overgrown and the orientation is difficult here (GPS recommended), what combined with its length makes it a difficult hike.
- From the bridge over the river Jarama we walk a little further towards El Cardoso de la Sierra and we turn left onto a wide path (1). After some time at the Y-junction we turn right (2), further uphill.
- A bit further at the next Y-junction we keep left (3). For a long time we follow this broad comfortable path, ascending steadily and crossing several streams.
- At about 1,500 metres of altitude we cross the stream "Vertiente Del Arroyo Peñón" (4). The path is now clearly narrower and we reach a small open space. Here, to the right in a bend lies a path with grass that we enter (5).
- This path quickly becomes narrower, slightly overgrown and descends to the stream "Vertiente Del Arroyo Peñón" (6). We cross the stream.
- On the other side of the stream, the path is quite overgrown and it is pretty difficult to find the route. We need to go up the slope in the direction southeast. Sometimes there appears to be a path, but frequently not, and without GPS it is difficult to find the direction here.
- When at about 1,700 metres we enter a zone with less vegetation, ahead of us we see rocks which we pass on the right, in the direction east-southeast. On the last stretch (8) we walk more towards the east until we reach a wide path, where we turn right (9).
- Through this path, we soon arrive on the Collado de Ortigosa (10) where we have a splendid view over the beautiful landscape of the Sierra de Ayllón. We keep following this path and ignore any side paths.
- At about 1,680 metres we reach a wall (11) where a path joins from the left, but we keep right here, go past the wall and quickly descend further.
- A bit further on, just below 1,400 metres we cross another path where we go straight on and a little further we take the bend to the right (12).
- A little further on we reach a wide dirt road where we turn left (13). This road leads to the asphalt road GU-187, where we turn right (14).
- We walk through El Cardoso de la Sierra (15) and continue for another three kilometres on this asphalt road until we return to the car (1).