Congost de Mont-Rebei
On this long hike from Puente de Montañana we walk to the Congost de Mont-Rebei, a spectacular gorge along the river Noguera Ribagorzana, via a beautiful path. On the last stretch of this hike there is a spectacular staircase system built against the rock face, via which we can descend to the trail that continues on through Aragón in the direction of Montfalcó. This area is unfortunately incredibly popular making it bizarrely crowded on the path, less pleasant for hikers who are used to walk in the peace of nature.
- From where we parked the car (1) we walk back southwards (Lleida) until the bridge (2) where we turn left (towards Tremp) and walk across the river Noguera Ribagorzana.
- On the other side of the bridge we turn left towards Pont de Montanyana (3). Before we reach the village, we turn left (4) and we see a sign of the GR-1 to the Congost de Mont-Rebei. We walk under the bridge.
- This path first runs along the river Noguera Ribagorzana and a bit further on along a wall to a little further on reach an asphalt road (5), where we turn right.
- For almost 5 kilometres and one hour of walking we follow the red-white marked GR-1 on the asphalt road until a junction not far from the parking lot of the Congost de Mont-Rebei (6), where we turn right in the direction of the marking of the GR-1.
- We walk a bit downhill and have a nice view of the river Noguera Ribagorzana. A bit further on we arrive at the booth of the parking lot (7), where we turn right, further downhill.
- Once below the paths split and we keep right, on the lower trail (8).
- About one and a half kilometres further we cross a suspension bridge (9) and on the other side of the bridge we turn right. We now simply follow the path that gets narrower and narrower and leads us through the Congost de Mont-Rebei.
- Three kilometres further we arrive at a fork with various signs (10). Here we turn right downhill and we descend to a suspension bridge over the river Noguera Ribagorzana (11).
- On the other side of the suspension bridge we go uphill a stretch to encounter a spectacular staircase system mounted against the rock face (12).
- We go down this staircase system end the route at the bottom of the stairs. From here we go back up the stairs and we walk the same route back through the Congost de Mont-Rebei and then to Puente de Montañana (1).