Mina das Sombras
This hike in the Serra do Xurés in the border area between Galicia and Portugal, takes us to the old tungsten mine Mina das Sombras. It is a simple but slightly long hike that largely develops on a dirt road. From this road most of the time we have a very wide view of this nature reserve.
- From the road where we parked (1) take the trail on the right. This trail is not marked and sometimes a bit difficult to follow. The trail eventually turns to the right (to the west) and after in total half an hour we end up on a dirt road (2) where we go left.
- After about five minutes (3) we leave the dirt road and turn right onto a path that initially is wide.
- Five minutes later we ignore a path that divert on the right (4) and we go straight ahead, parallel to a wire fence.
- After more than five minutes we cross a stream (5) and again five minutes later we end up on a wide path (6) where we turn left.
- After 15 minutes we come out on a dirt road (7) and turn right.
- We follow this dirt road for over an hour until we find the white-yellow marking of the PR-G-215 (Mina das Sombras) on our left, in a bend of this road (8).
- Through this trail we reach the old mine "Mina das Sombras" (9) in about twenty minutes.
- The way back is via the same route.