When you go hiking in the mountains, it is necessary to take a few precautions. It can always happen you get off track - especially when you do not know the region -, that the weather breaks and chances are high you will not encounter a single person. Therefore we recommend you take the following precautions:
- Preferably go hiking in company. When you do go by yourself, let at least someone know where exactly you are going to.
- Walk on proper footwear (optionally with spare laces).
- Bring sufficient clothing. Even in Spain it can be cold and windy in the mountains.
- Bring rainwear. Even in August you can be overtaken by a hailstorm.
- Bring sufficient water. Natural sources are scarce and in summer often have gone dry.
- Bring sufficient food.
- Take navigation means with you, either a map with compass or a GPS device. hikingiberia.com offers downloadable route descriptions and for your GPS device, GPX files.
- Bring sun lotion (and use it). The UV radiation in Spain in the mountains is high, even when the weather feels fresh.
- Sun glasses are in Spain most of the time first necessity. In late spring and summer a cap or hat gives extra protection.
- On the more steep hikes, walking sticks are an excellent aid to save energy. On the contrary when the terrain is very rocky, it is better not to use these.