Sierra de la Cabrera
This walk takes us to the Pico de la Miel and Cancho Gordo , two characteristic peaks of the Sierra de la Cabrera. The Sierra de la Cabrera is a small mountain range close to Madrid that stands out as a spectacular rocky wall against the surroundings and can be seen from far from the A1 Madrid-Burgos. The beginning of the hike is a short, steep climb that leads us to the Pico de la Miel from where we have a spectacular view over the Sierra de la Cabrera and its surroundings. We walk over the crest of the Sierra de la Cabrera to Alfrecho Collado , from where we climb to the Cancho Gordo.
- From where we parked the car (1) we walk down the Avenida de La Cabrera until past the public school "Pico de la Miel". After this school we turn left into the Calle de los Colegios and at the end of this street turn to the right (3).
- We now enter the Calle de la Sierra, which later turns into a trail which we keep following. We arrive at a house with a fence (4) where we turn right . A little further on we need to pay attention and go left onto a narrow trail, marked with milestones, that goes up the mountain heading towards the Pico de la Miel (5).
- This somewhat overgrown trail takes us quickly up the slope. Once we arrive above (6) we keep right onto the slopes of the Pico de la Miel. Here there is not really a path, but the direction to the highest point is not to be missed .
- Eventually at 1,392 metres we reach the summit of the Pico de la Miel (7). We return until the foot of the slope (6). Here straight on we automatically find the PR-M-13, a trail that is marked with both milestones and a white-yellow marking.
- We now follow a long time the marking of the PR-M-13, until at our left (8) further on we see the Collado Alfrecho, a pass that can be clearly recognized by its opening to the valley on the south side .
- We walk to the Collado Alfrecho (9), from where we also have an excellent view on the valley on the other side of the mountain. Our path continues on the right and quickly turns into the direction of the valley on the south side. Via milestones this trail leads us to the Cancho Gordo.
- Before we arrive there we first reach a big rock (10). We need to go over it, then to the right to cross a field and on our right hand follow the milestones that over the rocks run on the last part towards the summit of the Cancho Gordo.
- From the summit (11) we follow the same trail back until we reach the Col of the Alfrecho (9). Back on the Col we turn right, so towards the valley on the south side of the mountain. This trail, which is marked with milestones, rapidly descends into the valley and finally arrives at an asphalt road (12). Here we turn left and walk back to La Cabrera.
- In La Cabrera we follow the white-red marking of the GR -10, which returns us to the Avenida de La Cabrera (13) where we turn left and walk the last stretch back to the car.