Pista del Infante
This hike in the surroundings of the reservoir of San Juan takes us for a large part over the Pista del Infante, which used to be the road from the reservoir to the col of the Almenara. Today it is a nice broad trail that in summer can be relatively tough still because of the full exposure to the burning sun and the constant climbing. On the way back the hike offers us nice views on Vallefrías and can we also observe the towers of the capital of Madrid.
- From the car park (1) we walk back in the direction Navas del Rey parallel to the M-501.
- At the next crossing we take the second path to the left, following the white-red marking of the GR10 (2).
- We follow the two sharp bends of the trail. Behind the second bend at the Y-junction we take the path to the left that runs further uphill (3). Here we leave the GR-10, so do not follow the red-white marking on the right.
- A fair way further on behind the cattle grid we take the Y-junction to the right (4). Now we follow this trail a fair distance until we reach a bunch of small buildings with cattle. Here we turn right just before the cattle grid (5).
- This path takes us zigzagging uphill and our efforts will be rewarded with more and more nice views. At the top we turn right again, now following the red-white marking of the GR-10 again (6).
- At the next fork (7) we keep right further uphill. Over the hill we end up at a firebreak with behind it a gate. We continue through this gate and ignore all side-trails.
- We now start a considerable descent. When we reach a T-junction (8) we turn left. Following this trail we further descend towards the Y-junction that will take us back to the Pista del Infante. Here we turn left (9) and walk the last part through the same trail as on the way out back to the car.