Cruz de la Tendera
This hike from Arenas de San Pedro is a relatively short route at low altitude which is attractive because of its versatility: it takes us past the monastery Santuario de San Pedro de Alcántara, and then further up to the Cruz de la Tendera where we have a nice view on El Hornillo and the surrounding mountains of Gredos, then we take a steep descent through the woods to then on the last stretch follow the course of the river Arenal back to Arenas de San Pedro.
- From the parking (1) we walk further down the asphalt road to the north. We follow this road for almost two kilometres to the monastery of San Pedro de Alcantara (2). At the monastery we go straight on onto a dirt road. We follow the white-red markings of the GR 293.1 and GR-180.
- We climb for a while through the forest and eventually go left at a Y-junction (3) and keep following the white-red marking of the GR 293.1 and GR-180.
- Further on, slightly above 700 metres of altitude, in a bend a slightly overgrown path goes straight on, but we turn left here and stay on the same path, further following the white-red marking (4).
- Ultimately, by now well at over 800 metres of altitude, we arrive at a wide path, where we turn right, in the direction of the white-red marking (5). Soon, at the first opportunity we turn left, onto a narrow trail (6).
- Soon we turn left onto a narrow path which is marked with milestones (7). Further on at several large boulders this trail turns to the right (8). This way we quickly reach the Cruz de la Tendera (9), the highest point of this hike and a beautiful view point.
- We walk back via this trail to the boulders. We now go right here and need to look out for a trail marked with milestones that goes downhill behind the boulders, and further on descends rapidly.
- After a descent of about 250 metres through this white-yellow marked path we reach a wide path, where we turn left (10). We now follow the white-yellow markings of the PRC-ASP-3 and at a Y-junction therefore turn right further downhill (11).
- We ignore a trail on our left and further on at a fork go right / straight on (12), still following the PRC-ASP-3. This path now follows the course of the river Río del Arenal.
- We pass a few houses and a Hotel Rural and then reach a dirt road, where we turn right (13). We walk towards the urban area and see more and more houses. We follow this road until a house called "Villa María" on no. 2 and turn left into a narrow road (14).
- We climb a bit to a crossroads where we keep diagonally left, into the Calle Infante Luis de Borbón (15). At the end we follow the bend of this road to the right (16) and go straight ahead for a while.
- This street turns into the Calle Sta. Cruz Valle. At the end of this street, where to the left you can turn into another street, we enter a path that initially is slightly overgrown (17).
- This path ascends and further on gives a nice view of Arenas de San Pedro. When we descend again, we keep right at two successive forks, further downhill (18).
- We eventually arrive at a paved road, where we turn right (19), further downhill. This further on takes us to a street where we turn left (20), walking back the last stretch to the car (1).