Mondalindo (short route)
During this hike we ascend the Mondalindo, a peak of 1,831 metres near the town of Bustarviejo in the Sierra Norte de Madrid, one of the better known and popular peaks of the southern part of the Sierra Norte. Usually the Mondalindo is ascended from Bustarviejo, but on this route we depart from the Puerto de Canencia and walk via the beautiful plateau of the Sierra Norte of Bustarviejo to Mondalindo. This route is a short variant of a longer round trip on hikingiberia.com to the Mondalindo from the Puerto de Canencia.
- At the parking lot of the recreation park (1) we walk to its end where we walk past a gate with a cattle grid, onto a wide trail.
- We follow this trail for a while. Further on the trail turns slightly to the right and then with a bend to the left (4). Here we leave the trail onto the open field, which we cross in the direction southeast. At the other side of the field, at the border of a forest (5), we cross a small brick wall and start to climb the hill. Here there is not really a clear trail, but we do see various milestones that we follow.
- After some time of ascending we see a fence (6) at our right hand, which we have to go over/past, behind which we continue our route to the left via a wide path. A bit further on we leave the path for a short while to go left to the Cabeza de la Braña, at 1,772 metres, which can be recognized by an antenna (7). To get here, again go over/past the fence.
- After the Cabeza de la Braña we return to the wide path, which we keep following all the time to the Mondalindo. Further on the trails narrows and we ignore various side trails, which eventually takes us to the Mondalindo (6).
- From the Mondalindo we initially return via the same trail, until past the Cabeza de la Braña, where we turn right onto a trail through the forest (7).
- At the end of this path we turn left at the Y-fork (8). Further on we ignore down a path on the left (9) and finally reach another path (10) where we go left/straight ahead.
- A little further on the right we can take a shortcut uphill (11), which takes us to the path (12) to the recreation area which will take us back to the car.