The Vineyard Route
This route takes us along the vineyards around the town San Martín de Valdeiglesias in the province of Madrid. The first part of the route hardly has any difference in altitude. On the way back to San Martín we have to climb approximately 200 meters. The surroundings of San Martín are one of the warmest regions of the province of Madrid and the route does not offer any shadow.
- The route starts at the old train station (1). We take the street that lies behind the old station and go over a viaduct straight on, following the Avenida del Ferrocarril.
- We follow this road until a small industrial park where we still continue straight on, through a dirt road on the right of the street. At the end we get at an asphalt road (Carretera a Ávila) (2), which we cross. Here we can find the signposts of the GR10/GR239. We follow these directions.
- We walk through the open field towards a broad path, in the direction of a tunnel under the N-403 (3). After a while we can see on our left hand another road (M-501), to which we walk parallel for a while.
- The path ends on the M-501 (4), which we cross to continue the path at the other side of the road.
- We follow this path for about two kilometres and walk past a riding school and various vineyards. We ignore the various side paths we pass until we encounter a trail on the left that is indicated with an arrow and the sign “Vias Pecuarias” (5).
- This trail ends at a fork (6), where we keep left.
- Now we start climbing to cross the vineyards zigzagging. Eventually the trail starts descending again to end at about two kilometres from the fork at the N-403 (7).
- We cross the road and continue the trail at the other side of the road. At the fork we keep left. We go further down towards the M-501 (8), which we cross. The path that continues at the other side of the M-501 ends in the built-up area of San Martín (9).
- In San Martín we follow right past the Plaza de Toros the street “Camino de Cadalso”. At the end we turn right in the “Calle de la Corredera Alta”. Behind the market (Mercado Municipal) we cross the Plaza de la Corredera and turn right.
- Now we have to keep left to – through the Calle Pilar, Plaza el Pilar and Calle de Lorenzo Santillán – get back to the Avenida del Ferrocarril. Here we need to keep right to finish at the car park.