This hike to the Laguna Grande is the most popular hike in the Circo de Gredos. It is very well doable from the Plataforma, during the hike we have several beautiful views and the lake itself with the refuge Elola is a lovely place to visit. The lake lies directly under Almanzor, with its 2,592 metres the highest peak of the Sierra de Gredos and also of the Sistema Central. From the lake there are various routes to Almanzor, which with a prominence of 1,690 meters rises high above the great dry rugged landscape of the Circo de Gredos.
- From the Plataforma (1) we follow the wide path up over the large boulders. At the first junction (2) we go straight ahead in the direction of the sign "Senda de Laguna Grande". At the next junction (3) we turn left in the direction of the signs "Laguna Granda / Refugio Elola".
- The path to the Laguna Grande and Almanzor goes straight ahead over a bridge (4) and we simply keep following the marking of the Senda de Laguna Grande.
- At about 2,175 metres we arrive at the highest point (5) of the route to the Laguna Grande. From here we have a beautiful view on the Circo de Gredos. From this point, the trail descends to the Laguna Grande.
- Just before the lake Laguna Grande we reach a fork (6) where we keep left, which again is signposted as "Laguna Grande / Refugio Elola".
- We walk to the refuge "Refugio Elola" (7). To the left ahead of us, we now see the peak of Almanzor.
- From the refuge Elola (7) we return to La Plataforma (1) via the same route.