Almanzor, is with its 2,592 metres the highest peak of the Sierra de Gredos and also of the Sistema Central. With a prominence of 1,690 meters it rises high above the great dry rugged landscape of the Circo de Gredos. This peak appeals to the imagination of many, but is not without danger. Most of the route is doable for hikers with some experience. However, the last stretch is a lot more difficult and more treacherous. Here various lives were lost and the final metres require climbing experience.
- From the Plataforma (1) we follow the wide path up over the large boulders. At the first junction (2) we go straight ahead in the direction of the sign "Senda de Laguna Grande". At the next junction (3) we turn left in the direction of the signs "Laguna Granda / Refugio Elola".
- The path to the Laguna Grande and Almanzor goes straight ahead over a bridge (4) and we simply keep following the marking of the Senda de Laguna Grande.
- At about 2,175 metres we arrive at the highest point (5) of the route to the Laguna Grande. From here we have a beautiful view on the Circo de Gredos. From this point, the trail descends to the Laguna Grande.
- Just before the lake Laguna Grande we reach a fork (6) where we keep left, which again is signposted as "Laguna Grande / Refugio Elola".
- We walk to the refuge "Refugio Elola" (7). To the left ahead of us, we now see the peak of Almanzor. Straight ahead begins a narrow trail, marked with milestones. Further on the trail goes straight ahead, but we keep right. In this area multiple trails lead to Almanzor anyway.
- To our left we see a slope covered with stones, to which we walk via the milestones until we get close to a zone with perpetual snow, which we pass on the right side. This route leads through a steep climb through stones and rocks to the Portilla del Crampón (8).
- From the Portilla del Crampon we obviously continue to the right to Almanzor, via a trail marked with milestones. The last metres to the Almanzor form a difficult, steep and dangerous stretch, which is only recommended for hikers with some climbing experience.
- From Almanzor (9) we return to La Plataforma (1) via the same route.