Cabeza de la Parra
La Cabeza de la Parra is a peak of 1,639 metres in the foothills of the Sierra de Gredos. It is a flat peak that gives a great view over the whole area: the Sierra de Gredos, the Sierra de Madrid and the Embalse de El Burguillo. The variant we follow departs from Mirador Estelar and goes up a steep firebreak to another summit, Cerro de la Encinilla, before reaching the Cabeza de la Parra.
- From the Mirador Estelar (1) we walk a bit back on the road. After about 300 metres, where the asphalt road turns to the right, we turn left onto a dirt road (2). A few tens of metres further on (3) we turn left.
- We ascend relatively quickly between the pine trees, further on we reach a dirt road (4) which we cross and continue straight ahead. Ten minutes later we ignore a path on the right and then we ignore a firebreak on the right (5) and continue on the wide comfortable path.
- Ten minutes later at a Y-junction (6) we turn right. Five minutes later, ignore the path on the left (7). Fifteen minutes later we come to a trail that comes from the left (8) and we keep right.
- A few minutes later the path turns to the left and we can cut straight ahead via the firebreak (9). At the end of the firebreak (10) we turn left onto the dirt road and a little further on we ignore the dirt road to the right.
- More than fifteen minutes later (11) in a bend where the path goes down again, we turn left of the path onto a firebreak. Via this firebreak we climb 300 metres until we reach the Cerro de la Encinilla (12). At this peak we continue the route to the right over the path.
- In about 50 minutes we reach the top of the Cabeza de la Parra (13). From the top we continue in a northeasterly direction and descend firmly through a firebreak. After fifteen minutes we reach a wide path (14) and we turn left.
- About five minutes later (15) we turn right off the wide path, onto a dirt road through the forest. 20 minutes later we arrive at a dirt road (16) and we go right / straight ahead.
- After ten minutes, at a well (10), we leave the path through the open field. In less than ten minutes we reach a wide path (18) where we turn left.
- More than five minutes later we arrive at another path (19) where we turn right, further down. Five minutes later we cross the stream Arroyo Del Bolso (20), a little further we get to a wide path, where we turn left and in this way we eventually return to the same path as on the way out and we walk back to the Mirador Estelar (1) .