This hike from the Col de Jau, in the Pyrénées-Orientales of France, takes us to the valley of La Balmette, somewhat above 2,000 meters of altitude. In the valley we have a great panoramic view, surrounded by peaks such as Madrés, Roc Nogre and Salt del Burro.
- From the parking space (1) we cross the road and enter the dirt road on the other side.
- In half an hour we arrive at the Refuge of Calhau (2). We walk past the refuge on the right side through a gate. The road forks and we take the path to the right, going uphill slightly.
- About 20 minutes later we see a milestone on the left (3). We ignore the trail to the left and stay on the dirt road.
- About 10 minutes later the dirt road turns left. We go to the right onto a trail, marked with a few milestones (4).
- In about 5 minutes we come out again on the dirt road (5). We cross it and continue on the trail on the other side, signposted with milestones. About 5 minutes later we cross the dirt road again (6) and continue on the trail on the other side.
- About 25 minutes further on we cross the stream La Castellane (7) and another 15 minutes later again (8).
- From here it takes about 15 minutes to reach the valley of La Balmette (9), near the Refuge of La Balmette.
- The way back is via the same route.