Reajo Alto and Reajo Bajo
This hike starts at 1,773 meter and goes directly steep uphill through a firebreak. After this we walk a while on a ridge with a few considerable climbs where the views get better and better. Further through the open field we continue to the summits of the Reajo Alto (2,093 m.) and Reajo Bajo, where we can enjoy great views. This first stage of the route does not have any shadow. After a steep descent through a firebreak we can steadily walk back – without difference in altitude – to the parking. Use of compass and map or GPS is highly recommended on this hike, since part of the route is without trail.
- This route starts from the Puerto de Navafría (1), which cannot be missed because of the frontier sign of the province Segovia.
- Coming from the direction Madrid the route starts at the right of the road. Ignore the big trail that departs from the car park, through this path we will return at the end of our hike.
- Close to this path, at its left behind a hill, lies a firebreak behind a fence that goes steeply uphill. This is the path that we take.
- From this point we follow the path straight on, initially climbing steeply, later on more gradually with in total three considerable climbs, which at the end brings us to around 2,080 metres (2).
- From this altitude the path continues a while on the ridge, but we have to bear off to the right (towards the east) (3) leaving our trail and walking past two wells. These cannot be seen from the trail, so we have to look out. If you pay attention, you can see some tyre marks bend off from the trail.
- As soon as you see the wells, keep to the east without trail, towards the post of the peak of the Reajo Alto (4).
- From the Reajo Alto, towards the east, you can see the post of the peak of the Reajo Bajo (5), which is where we walk.
- From the Reajo Bajo we can see in the north a wall of stones, we walk through the field - first descending, then climbing again – to this wall. Finally we reach a path, which is the beginning of a firebreak (to the left towards the east) (6).
- We follow the firebreak and keep right (ignore the road to the left), now we descend heavily until a crossroads (7).
- At the crossroads we turn right over the cattle grid, from here we follow the broad forest trail. Various side-paths will follow, which we all ignore. This forest trail will bring us back to the Puerto de Navafría (1).