Cabezas de Hierro (via Puerto de la Morcuera)
The Cuerda Larga is an important branch of the Sierra de Guadarrama and one of the highest elevations of the Sierra de Guadarrama, because it has a height of above 2,100 meters over a large length, with a fine view of the Sierra de Guadarrama, the Bola del Mundo, the Maliciosa and the Peñalara. The hike ends at the Cabeza de Hierro Mayor, which with 2,383 meters is the highest top of the Cuerda Larga and the second summit of Madrid, after the Peñalara. On this variant we walk to the Cabeza de Hierro from the Puerto de la Morcuera via Bailanderos, instead of from the Puerto de Navacerrada.
- From the car park (1) we walk a small stretch further uphill towards the Puerto de Morcuera (2).
- On this pass we turn left onto a trail that is closed with a snow fence through which we can go via a gate.
- From here we just follow the white-yellow marking of this trail. Since we walk most of the time on a crest, it is impossible to lose track here.
- After an hour and 15 minutes we reach the top of the Bailanderos (3). On the right, the PR-11 runs past the top. If we keep to the left we walk via the top.
- From Bailanderos, simply follow the PR-11 marking (white-yellow and milestones), reaching the top of the Cabeza de Hierro Mayor two hours later (4).
- The way back is done via the same route.