This hike departs from the charming Lakes of Covadonga for a 20-kilometre route across the beautiful mountains of the Picos de Europa to the Jultayu, a summit at 1,942 meters that offers a fantastic panorama on the central massif (Macizo Central) of the Picos. The hike can technically be done without issues but is due to its length and more than 1,400 meters of altitude difference somewhat hard.
- Go up the stairs from the car park (1), follow the signs towards Lago de Enol (white-yellow marking) and cross the road.
- At the Lago de Enol (2) we turn left, walk along the lake and follow the white-yellow marking of the PR-PNPE-2 towards the Lago de la Ercina.
- We end up at the car park of the Lago de la Ercina (3), walk straight ahead, keep the lake on our right hand and cross the field. On the other side of the lake, a trail turns right (4) towards "Refugio Vega de Ario", white-yellow marked (PR-PNPE-4).
- We follow this trail for over two hours until we reach a pass (El Jito) with an orientation table (5), from where the views are already beautiful. We follow the marking of the PR-PNPE-4 and arrive about ten minutes later at the refuge Marqués de Villaviciosa (6).
- The trail turns to the southeast and runs a little further along the refuge of Ario. We follow the mark (milestones) for a climb of about one and a half hour and 400 meters of altitude difference to the top of the Jultayu (7).
- The way back is via the same route.