The Mola of Segart
The mountains of the Sierra Calderona are foothills of the Iberian System (Sistema Ibérico) and lie almost entirely below 1,000 metres. During this short and easy hike we hike to one of the peaks in this mountain range, the Mola near the village of Segart, in a rugged landscape of sandstone and limestone. Because it is close to the Mediterranean Sea, it gives beautiful views of the sea, the nearby Sagunto and the city of Valencia.
- Once you have parked the car in the village (1) walk further out of the village. Just outside the village we reach a junction where we turn right (2), uphill through the asphalt road.
- Further on at a fork we keep right in the bend and further follow the asphalt road (3).
- Further on a dirt road crosses the asphalt road on which we walk. Here we turn right, leaving the asphalt road (4). This road is initially partly paved and partly unpaved.
- We keep following this narrow road and ignore various side-paths until we pass a building on a more open space. Here we turn left at the T-fork (5).
- For quite some time we follow the red colored path until we arrive at a narrow asphalt road, where we turn left (6). Soon at the next fork we turn right (7) and follow the sign "Mola de Segart".
- A little further on the asphalt road turns right downhill (8), but we go left/straight on, onto a red coloured dirt road.
- Further on (9) we first ignore a trail marked with milestones to the left. Straight after it the road turns to the right in a bend (10). We turn left here, onto another dirt road and descend a bit.
- We eventually end up at a dirt road where we turn right in the bend (11). We now stand at the foot of the Mola and at the left see a trail marked with milestones (12).
- This trail leads rather steeply to the top of the Mola (13).
- From the top we return via the same trail to the dirt road (12) where we turn right and then follow the path to the right, downhill (11).
- Further at the T-fork we turn left, further downhill (14). In this way we finally arrive at the asphalt road where we already walked on the way out and of course turn right (3).
- A little further on we turn left on the road (2) and enter Segart again.