Torre de los Horcados Rojos
The Torre de los Horcados Rojos is one of the most distinctive peaks of the Macizo Central in the Picos de Europa, on the border between Cantabria and Asturias. From this summit, we have a fantastic view on the amazing scenery of the Picos. As the cable car of Fuente Dé us drops us off at above 1,800 meters, we can reach an altitude of above 2,500 metres with relatively little effort. The only drawback is that the trail to it can be very busy, although the majority of the hikers do not go further than the Collado de los Horcados Rojos, about 150 metres below the peak.
- From the terminus of the cable car (1) we turn left, onto the wide trail, the PR-24.
- This path we follow until the junction, where we turn left to go onto the PR-23 (2), marked as "Horcados Rojos". The path is marked white-yellow.
- At about 1,950 metres there is a trail on the left, which is marked with a white-yellow cross to indicate that we should not enter it. So we turn right (3).
- Through this trail we ascend rapidly. At about 2,200 metres we pass a path on the left (4) where we continue straight on at the white-yellow marked path. Then at about 2,300 metres we reach a fork (5) where to the left the trail goes to the Cabaña Verónica. We, however, turn right here.
- This path takes us to the Collado de los Horcados Rojos (6) at 2,344 metres. Here to the right it goes uphill to climb a little more than 150 metres to the Torre de los Horcados Rojos (7), at 2,506 metres. This is a steep trail with lots of loose stones, which with some caution for the more trained hikers.
- From the Torre de los Horcados Rojos the way back to the cable car (1) follows the same route.